Grilled Chicken Breasts with Sofrito
The cooks at Adath Israel (a small, vibrant Orthodox synagogue established by Polish Jews in the '20s) told me that they either bake chicken with a simple marinade or make chicken fricassee with a basic sofrito. I combined the two into one recipe.
- Remove the fillet from the underside of the chicken breasts.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a glass bowl or casserole.
- Add the chicken breasts and fillets and marinate for 2 or more hours in the refrigerator.
- Grill the chicken on both sides for a total of approximately 7 minutes, until it is cooked but still moist and tender. Alternatively, heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and sauté the chicken--about 3 minutes per side, until it is done in the center and golden on both sides.
- Set the chicken aside, reserving the marinade. Keep warm until you're ready to serve with the sofrito sauce. (see Sofrito Sauce)
- Return the sautéed chicken to the pan with the sauce to warm and serve. Alternatively, serve the grilled chicken on a platter topped with sauce.
- The fillet of the chicken breast has a white pearlized tendon running through it. To ensure even cooking of the breast, this tendon needs to be removed.