We've heard a lot about Thanksgivukkah recently. It's a once-in-a-lifetime convergence of Thanksgiving and Hanukkah that has inspired people around the country to think outside the box as they prepare for this joyful super-celebration.
Watch out, though. Here are five ways your holiday of thankful lights could become a disaster!
- Butternut Squash Soup with Matzah Balls: I'm a big fan of soup - especially butternut squash soup and, separately, matzah ball soup. Unfortunately, these two rights definitely make a wrong. Butternut squash soup with matzoh balls would be a gooey mess!
- Deep-Fried, Jelly-Filled Turkey: This is a recipe for danger for both your taste buds and fire safety. While we're on the subject, don't stuff your sufganiyot (deep-fried, jelly-filled donuts) with turkey either!
- Gelt Stuffing: In my family, there are two stuffing camps: "crowded" stuffing: is filled with onions, mushrooms, celery... the works! "Uncrowded" stuffing is just stuffing. Whichever way you like it, it's safe to say that chocolate gelt would be an unwelcome guest.
- Mashed Potato-Stuffed Blintzes. Like taking a sip of water when you expect it to be a refreshing citrus soda, tasting garlicky mashed potatoes when you expect sweet cheesy goodness just won't do.
- Green Bean Casserole Latkes. Whether you like them lumpy or smooth, covered in sour cream or applesauce, please don't ruin your delicious potato pancakes with soggy green beans and mushroom soup.
So how can you do Thanksgivukkah the right way? Here's a sample menu to get you started. However you decide to celebrate, Chag Hodurim Sameach! May you have a wonderful Thanksgivukkah!
Modern-Day Yenta Makes The Perfect Match On Netflix
May 19, 2023
As someone who mostly steers clear of reality television in favor of more premium (read: snobbier) fare, I was a little hesitant to check out Netflix’s new reality series, "Jewish Matchmaking."
Together At Sinai: Four Conversion Stories
May 18, 2023
On Shavuot, many of us study the Book of Ruth. Lauded by Rabbinic tradition as a righteous convert, Ruth’s story continues to resonate with the experiences of many Jews-by-choice today.
In The Wilderness: Numbers in Haiku
May 10, 2023
These Haikus focus on weekly Torah portions.