As parents begin to establish Jewishly inspired bedtime routines, saying the Shema and Modeh Ani, here’s a simple visual reminder to place next to a child’s bed.
- 1, 6” x 2” piece of heavy weight paper/cardstock
- 1, ½” x 2” piece of heavy weight paper/cardstock
- 1, 2” x 3” piece of heavy weight paper/cardstock
- 1” piece of ribbon, string, or strip of paper
- Optional – have a few mini star stickers or glitter to sprinkle on the nighttime side representing stars.
Note: The color of paper is up to you! I like to use yellow on the daylight side, blue on the night-time side. This project is a great way to upcycle paintings, coloring sheets, scraps of construction paper or greeting cards. The choices are unlimited!
- Fold the 6” x 2” piece of paper in half. Glue ½” x 2” piece on bottom holding the “tented paper” together. You can also just fold a larger piece into three equal parts forming a triangular shaped tube/tent.
- Glue the bottom together so the tube/tent can rest on one side.
- Write the Shema on one side of the 2” x 3” card:
שְׁמַע יִשְׂרָאֵל, יְיָ אֱלֹהֵֽינוּ, יְיָ אֶחָד.
Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai eloheinu, Adonai echad.
Hear, O Israel, Adonai is our God, Adonai is One.
- Write the Modeh Ani on the reverse of the 2” x 3” card:
מוֹדֶה\מוֹדָה אֲנִי לְפָנֶֽיךָ, מֶֽלֶךְ חַי וְקַיָּם, שֶׁהֶחֱזַֽרְתָּ בִּי נִשְׁמָתִי בְּחֶמְלָה, רַבָּה אֱמוּנָתֶֽךָ.
Modeh/Modah ani l'fanecha, melech chai v'kayam, shehechezarta bi nishmati b'chemlah, rabbah emunatecha
I offer thanks to You, ever-living Sovereign, that You have restored my soul to me in mercy: How great is your trust.
- Create a loop out of your ribbon, string, or strip of paper. Attach this loop to the end of the card.
- Place card inside cardboard tent.
Place tent near your child’s bedside as a reminder.
Add additional values, blessings, prayers and sentiments on additional cards to fill your mini-bedside tent.
Jacqueline Serebrani-Kesner is an interdisciplinary and expressive arts educator. More about Creative Arts Enrichment can be found at www.creativeartsenrichment.org. Jacquie can be reached at email@example.com. Jacquie’s activities are part of a soon to be published compilation of ideas to inspire your spiritual journey.