Baked French Toast
baked French toast
This basic, easy-to-make meal is delicious any time of year, but it's an especially great way to use up your chametz (leaven) before Passover. It smells and tastes amazing!
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
3 tablespoons honey
2/3 cup orange juice or milk
4 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
glug of vanilla
six 1/2 to 3/4-inch thick slices of challah
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray, and then put butter and honey into the pan.
- Heat pan in oven until butter melts and honey is bubbling, about eight minutes. Remove from oven and stir well.
- While it's heating, in a large wide pan, whisk together juice, eggs, spices, and salt. Dip bread into the mixture, turning it once to coat it well. Let it soak about two minutes per side, then carefully set each piece of bread into the honey-buttered pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until well-browned. Before serving, flip each piece over to serve honey-and-butter side up.