The Bloody Maccabeet - A Hanukkah Cocktail
I originally created horseradish vodka to serve with gefilte fish at my Passover seder. Thinking about what this flavor evokes in Jewish cuisine and thinking about the foods we customarily eat for Hanukkah, I created this colorful and delicious Hanukkah cocktail.
Chag urim sameach, Happy Festival of Lights!
- Place the contents of the can in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the tomato juice, honey, lime juice, and vodka to the blender and blend well.
- Pour into 4-6 highball glasses over ice.
- Garnish with zatar and serve.
- Peel a 4-inch piece of horseradish. Rinse.
- Using a vegetable peeler or a julienne peeler/shredder, shred about ¼ cup.
- Place shredded horseradish in a quart jar and add at least 2 cups of potato vodka (I prefer Titos).
- Let the jar of infused vodka sit on your counter for at least two days but preferably four.
- Refrigerate with the horseradish until needed.
I often serve a shot of this vodka at my Passover seder with the gefilte fish. Mini “Maccabeet” shots could be served as well!