You'll need an already prepared and cooked brisket, or leftover brisket, to make these fabulous mini sandwiches. Top with my special sauce (recipe below) and assemble them on small rolls (slider rolls or homemade mini challah rolls). Pile a platter of these for a Hanukkah party, Shabbat, or any celebratory occasion.
For the brisket and rolls
- Shred or cut the brisket into bite-sized pieces. Place in a large bowl.
- Slice the rolls in half. Have a large serving platter nearby.
For the special sauce
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, warm the pan gravy, BBQ sauce, ketchup, cola, onion powder, cmoked paprika, garlic powder, and cumin.
- Simmer on low for 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour over brisket in bowl and mix well.
- Place bottom halves of rolls on platter and top each with 2 ounces or so of the sauced brisket. Top with tri-color Asian coleslaw (or serve alongside).
- Top with second half of roll and serve.
Marcy Goldman is a cookbook author of several titles and host of the popular website, www.Betterbaking.com. This recipe is reprinted with permission from The Newish Jewish Cookbook (February 2019 River Heart Press).