Chocolate Filling for Hamantaschen (Gluten-Free)
3/4 stick of salted butter (If using unsalted add 1/4 teaspoon salt)
3 oz. (1/2 cup) chocolate chips + 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate OR 3.5 oz. bar of 78% cacao
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon rice flour
- Place butter and chocolate in a 1 1/2 quart glass mixing bowl and microwave on 80% for 45 seconds; if butter is not completely melted than heat on high for 15 more seconds. Stir contents of bowl until smooth. Chocolate often retains it shape when melted in the microwave, so don't leave it in too long or it will burn.
- Whisk the sugar and extracts (and salt only if using unsalted butter) into the chocolate mixture. Combine well to dissolve some of the sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time whisking well after each addition.
- Add the rice flour and whisk until a smooth, shiny mass is formed and pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Place mixture in a sealed container and refrigerate until needed. Filling will become firm but not too firm to scoop into little mounds for filling hamantaschen.
- Chocolate often retains it shape when melted, so don't leave over heat or it will burn.
- If gluten is not a concern, and you don't have rice flour at home, 2 tablespoons flour is equivalent to1 tablespoon rice flour.
- Additionally, if you use 1 tablespoon potato starch the filling could be used for Passover pastries!