Israeli Charoset Recipe
This recipe is an adaptation of the California-influenced Israeli charoset of the well-known kosher cooking instructor and cookbook author Judy Zeidler. This recipe truly tells a story since the ingredients are an amalgam of both Ashkenazic and Sephardic culinary traditions. Flavorful, intriguing, and a big hit at the seder.
- Place the pistachio nuts in a processor work bowl and pulse on and off until the nuts are ground fine but not forming butter.
- Add the apples and dates, and pulse until the fruits are fairly well chopped.
- Add the bananas, lemon juice and zest, orange juice and zest, and cinnamon, and pulse until the mixture is a coarse but combined mass.
- Remove the mixture to a glass bowl, and stir in the wine and matzah meal. Chill, covered, until serving time.
- Here the banana is used, with its great ability to impart both sweetness and a dark brown color when the mixture oxidizes.