Israeli Fish Kebabs with Yellow Tahini Yogurt Sauce
Photo: Katherine Martinelli
Packed with fresh herbs, these fish kebabs are bursting with flavor. Since there are no binding ingredients, like eggs, the secret is to knead the mixture like dough to break down the proteins. The kebabs are good on their own, but even better with the creamy yellow tahini sauce.
I recommend that you use this recipe, and all of my recipes as inspiration, as jumping-off points to make them your own. Change the ingredients or spices to create your own flavors, because there's no such thing as failure in the kitchen, only learning experiences.
- Mix together all the kebab ingredients in a large bowl and knead until you obtain a uniform mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Shape into small round or oblong patties. Working in batches, cook on a hot grill or skillet for 3 to 4 minutes per side until cooked through and golden.
- Transfer to a plate or put in a pita and serve with generous spoonful of the tahini yogurt sauce.
Yellow Tahini Yogurt Sauce
- Heat the oil and turmeric in a pan until just before boiling, or heat for 30 seconds in microwave. Strain and allow to cool fully before proceeding.
- Mix together the turmeric oil with the remiaing sauce ingredients until smooth and pale hyellow in color.
Reprinted with permission from Cook in Israel: Home Cooking Inspiration by Orly Ziv.