Israeli Sweet Cheese 'Levivot'
While the term levivot technically refers to the potato pancakes so common at Hanukkah, this version with sweet cheese is a fun variation that's perfect for dessert. Serve it with sour cream or applesauce, depending on whether you feel like something more sweet or savory.
- Put the cheese, yogurt, sugar, vanilla extract, raisins (if using), brandy, eggs, and flour in a large bowl and mix until smooth.
- Let the mixture rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat the butter and oil in a wide pan.
- For each pancake, spoon about 1/4 cup of batter into the hot pan. Work in batches so as not to crowd the pan. Fry on both sides until golden and crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with sour cream or applesauce.
Reprinted with permission from Cook in Israel: Home Cooking Inspiration by Orly Ziv.