5-6 pounds beef brisket
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 bay leaves, or to taste
juice of 1 lemon
1 small bottle ketchup
1 large onion, sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
15 ounce can tomatoes
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 tablespoons brown sugar
2 bell peppers (1 green, 1 red), seeded, membrane removed (see note below)
- Trim excess fat off meat.
- Put lemon juice, salt, pepper, and bay leaf on top of brisket.
- Place in foil covered roaster; roast at 325° for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours take pan out of oven. Cover brisket with remaining ingredients. Cover again and cook at 350° until tender (about 1 1/2 hours).
- Cool completely. Scrape gravy and vegetables to side. Slice thinly and put back in gravy. To reheat, simmer in microwave or oven.
Note: Use more ketchup and tomatoes for larger cuts of meat - do not omit bay leaf.
To make this TUCSON BRISKET add chunks of bell peppers. A third pepper can be added to taste.