Passover Chocolate-Nut-Apple Torte
6 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, grated
2 apples, peeled, cored, and grated
1/2 cup matzah meal
Confectioners' sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until they are lemon-colored and thick enough to form a ribbon when dribbled from a spoon.
- Gently stir in walnuts, chocolate, apples, and matzah meal.
- Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, but are not too dry. Fold the beaten egg whites into the egg yolk mixture gently but thoroughly, using a rubber spatula.
- Turn the mixture into the greased springform pan. Bake 45 to 60 minutes, until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool in pan before removing to the serving platter. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.