Peanut Butter Gelt Cookies
This easy recipe incorporates and maintains the shape of the gelt on top of the cookie. Not only is the cookie delicious with the chocolate, it also highlights the gelt.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- Beat the peanut butter, sugar, and egg together.
- Shape the dough in rounds with flat tops the size of the gelt.
- Bake for about 12 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, cool slightly on the pan, then gently press one piece of gelt into the center of each cookie.
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Reprinted with permission from On the Chocolate Trail: A Delicious Adventure Connecting Jews, Religions, History, Travel, Rituals and Recipes to the Magic of Cacao (2nd Edition) by Rabbi Deborah R. Prinz.
Rabbi Deborah R. Prinz speaks about chocolate and Jews around the world. The newly released 2nd Edition of her book, On the Chocolate Trail: A Delicious Adventure Connecting Jews, Religions, History, Travel, Rituals and Recipes to the Magic of Cacao, (Jewish Lights) contains 25 historical and contemporary recipes. She blogs at The Forward, The Huffington Post and onthechocolatetrail.org. The book is used in adult study, classroom settings, book clubs and chocolate tastings.