Persian Mast o Khiar [Cucumber Yogurt Salad]
While Greek tsatsiki offers up a blend of refreshing cucumber, yogurt, and dill, the Persian version features the elegant and elaborate use of fresh herbs and fruits. And thinning this mixture with about 1 cup of water will give you an incredibly delicious cold soup!
- Place the yogurt in a 2-quart bowl and stir until it’s smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Wipe the bowl edges as needed or pour the mixture into a serving bowl.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, and preferably overnight, to allow the flavors to blend.
- Just before serving, sprinkle on additional rose petals and ground walnuts if desired.
- Serve with soft Middle Eastern bread.
- Greek yogurt or Middle Eastern Labne is much thicker in consistency than American varieties of yogurt. When a recipe requires a thick yogurt base and Greek yogurt is not available, you can substitute sour cream.
- Seeding a cucumber creates a less watery finished product. In this recipe, since you are working with thick Greek yogurt, removing the seeds is optional.