Savory Apple-Kasha Stuffing (Gluten-Free)
savory apple kasha stuffing
Use buckwheet for a dellcious and gluten-free twist on traditional stuffing.
1 cup kasha (medium or coarse)
1 egg or egg white, slightly beaten
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup each chopped onion and celery
2 cups chopped unpeeled apples
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
2 cups hot chicken or turkey broth
Salt and pepper to taste
Yield: 6 cups (enough for a 12-pound turkey)
- Combine kasha and egg or egg white. Heat heavy skillet or pan with tightly fitting lid.
- Sear kasha until egg is cooked (2-3 minutes); remove from pan.
- Add butter to same pan; saute onion, celery and apples; season with sage.
- Return kasha to pan and carefully add boiling broth; reduce heat and simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed (8-11 minutes). Adjust seasonings.
- Cool thoroughly before stuffing poultry. or bake separately in covered casserole at 350°F for 45 minutes.