Vegan Seven-Vegetable Soup with Matzah Balls
Makes 8 to 10 servings
2 large onions
6 large carrots
3 celery stalks
1 sweet potato
1 russet potato
2 small turnips
2 cups vegetable stock
4 cups water
- Start to peel and chop the vegetables to about the same size.
- Meanwhile, in a deep pot, sauté the onions in olive oil. As you finish chopping, gradually add the other vegetables, salting each layer.
- Cover vegetables with stock and water. Add as much dill and parsley as you like.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and let it cook for about an hour. When it is done, turn the stove off and let it sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (you can use a regular blender, but I would not do this with piping hot soup), blend just enough soup to get a creamy consistency but with enough vegetables left intact for texture.
Lisa Dawn Angerame is living as a vegan for her family's health, the health and welfare of the animals, and that of the planet. She blogs at LisasProjectVegan.com.