For Jews who lived in Ethiopia, constraints such as limited fuel sources, hot climates, and unavailability of wheat and local fours that are either low in gluten or lacking glutenous flours resulted in flatbreads.
4 cups teff flour
5 cups water, plus more as needed
Michele Braun shares her recipes for eggplant done 3 different ways.
Two recipes start as one: Babaganoush and Roasted Eggplant+
For Roasted Eggplant:
- 1 - 1½ pounds eggplant
- 1 head garlic, with ¼ sliced off from the pointy end
- Olive oil
- Roasted Eggplant prepared as above
- 2 tablespoons tahini (mixed well)
- 1 tablespoon + a drizzle of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Roasted eggplant prepared as above
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons, divided, + a drizzle of olive oil
- Fresh pita, pita chips, baguette, or crostini
Crispy, savory, cheesy, and perfect, the pizza roll takes one of my favorite foods and transforms it into a portable, snack-sized treat. I've been known to grab a handful of these and a few pieces of fresh fruit from the shuk and call it lunch.
1 package of puff pastry sheets (usually 2 per package)
½ cup of your favorite marinara or pizza sauce
3 cups of shredded cheese (mozzarella or Italian blend works best)
Any pizza toppings of your choice, finely chopped
Olive oil and seasoning for the crust (optional)
URJ Camp Kalsman campers learned to make this fun and easy dessert at virtual summer camp during the 2020 pandemic. Nw there are entire Camp Kalsman families out there making Pretzel S’mores! Here's the recipe so you can join us.
Square or Twist Pretzels
Hershey’s chocolate bar