URJ Crane Lake Camp's favorite Sunday breakfast is our delicious shakshuka recipe. Shakshuka, Hebrew for "all mixed up," is an Israeli breakfast dish consisting of poached eggs in a cumin-spiced tomato, pepper, and onion sauce. Campers and staff alike love when our chef whips up this treat. Enjoy!
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Add the onions and sauté over medium heat until translucent, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper and jalapeño. Cook just until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and tomato paste and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the tomatoes.
- Stir in the bay leaf, sugar, salt, paprika, cumin, pepper and caraway. Let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes.
- Layer the Swiss chard leaves on top.
- Crack the eggs into the tomato mixture.
- Cover and let simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until the whites of the eggs are no longer translucent.