1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup oil
3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 to 2/3 cup warm water
egg plus 1 teaspoon water
- Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water mixed with sugar. Set aside.
- Beat egg and oil and set aside.
- Measure dry ingredients into work bowl with metal blade (see note).
- With machine running, add yeast mixture and egg mixture down the chute. Add 1/2 to 2/3 cup warm water slowly down the chute until dough begins to form a ball. Process for 40 seconds. Stop the machine when the dough is in a ball rolling on top of the blade.
- Add flour if the dough is sticky. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning it to coat completely. Cover. Place in a warm place and let rise until it doubles in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down and divide in 1/2 for small challah. Divide each 1/2 into 3 strips and braid.
- Place on greased cookie sheet and let rise until doubled in size.
- Beat egg and 1 teaspoon water. Brush over dough. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
Note: This recipe may be doubled if your food processor can handle 6 cups of flour. In that case, use the small plastic blade.