5 boards unsalted matzah
1 cup margarine, unsalted
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped, coarsely (or chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease a jellyroll pan. Line bottom of pan evenly with matzah, using what you need and cutting pieces to fit any spaces on the cookie sheet.
- Combine margarine and sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking three more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and pour over matzah. Bake 15 minutes, checking every few minutes to make sure mixture is not burning. (If it seems to be browning too quickly, remove from oven.) Remove from oven, then sprinkle with chocolate pieces.
- Let stand five minutes, then spread chocolate evenly over surface. Cool thoroughly, refrigerating if necessary to set. Break into randomly-sized and shaped pieces.
- Use coffee-flavored chocolate chips.
- Try it with white chocolate chips.
- Add nuts or dried fruit.