This easy recipe incorporates and maintains the shape of the gelt on top of the cookie. Not only is the cookie delicious, it highlights the gelt.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- Beat the peanut butter, sugar, and egg together.
- Shape the dough in rounds with flat tops the size of the gelt.
- Bake for about 12 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, cool slightly on the pan, then gently press one piece of gelt into the center of each cookie.
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Reprinted with permission from On the Chocolate Trail: A Delicious Adventure Connecting Jews, Religions, History, Travel, Rituals and Recipes to the Magic of Cacao (2nd Edition) by Rabbi Deborah R. Prinz.