All the good taste of pumpkin pie without the crust! It can be made with nondairy creamer for a pareve dessert that can easily be transported outside to the sukkah during Sukkot.
2 teaspoons unflavored kosher gelatin
2 tablespoons dark rum
1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch of allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy cream or nondairy whipped topping mix
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the rum in a small glass custard cup and let it soften for a few minutes.
- Combine the remaining ingredients except the heavy cream in a medium bowl.
- Place the custard cup with the rum and gelatin in a frying pan that contains 1/2 inch of simmering water. Stir the rum mixture until the gelatin is dissolved.
- Whisk the hot gelatin mixture into the pumpkin mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Whip the cream in a small bowl until it forms soft peaks and fold it carefully into the pumpkin mixture.
- Spoon into six 4-ounce ramekins and refrigerate until set, about 3–4 hours.
- Soaking the gelatin in the rum helps it swell so that when it is warm it will melt and be evenly distributed in the mousse.
- If a frozen, pre-whipped dairy or pareve topping is available, you may substitute 2 cups of that already whipped product for the 1 cup of whipping cream, however, the taste will be slightly different.