1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4-5 tablespoons honey (optional)
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 envelopes yeast
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
12 cups flour
2 egg yolks and dash of water
- Dissolve sugar, salt, and honey in very warm water.
- Add yeast. Add oil, then beaten eggs.
- Gradually add flour until soft dough forms. Knead for 5 minutes on floured surface.
- Let rise 1 hour or until double in lightly-oiled bowl (also top of dough lightly oiled).
- Shape into 3 braided loaves or round "crowns."
- Brush with egg yolk mixture before baking for 30-40 minutes at 350°.