This borscht recipe is really easy, and since it is served cold, you can make it ahead of time. The beets cook into a colorful soup for a festive addition to Jewish holiday meals.
- Peel and chop the beets and the onion, and place them in a deep pot and cover with the water.
- Add the juice of 1/2 of the lemon, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and a dash of salt.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour (or until the beets are soft).
- Add the remaining sugar and the juice of the other half of the lemon. Taste and adjust salt.
- Using an immersion blender, process it a bit to break up the beets (not too long).
- Place in an airtight container and store in refrigerator.
- Peel and chop the potatoes. Boil in a separate pot until they are soft. Place in airtight container and store in refrigerator.
- To serve, place the potatoes in the soup and top with vegan sour cream and dill.
Lisa Dawn Angerame is living as a vegan for her family's health, the health and welfare of the animals, and that of the planet. She blogs at LisasProjectVegan.com.