- Mix yeast, water, and 1 teaspoon of sugar in a small bowl. Let it sit until it bubbles.
- Combine flour, salt, and sugar. Add oil and then the yeast mixture.
- Mix together and knead for at least 10 minutes (by hand or with a bread mixer.) You know when it is done when you can push your finger into it and the little indentation stays there. Aha!
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and let it rise for an hour and a half.
- Take the dough out to shape into challahs. Then let the challahs rise again for fifteen minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Brush the challahs with cold water and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
Lisa Dawn Angerame is living as a vegan for her family's health, the health and welfare of the animals, and that of the planet. She blogs at LisasProjectVegan.com.