Sweet and tangy, here's my Bubbe's Famous Jewish Brisket.
3 - 4 pounds beef brisket
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups ketchup
1 cup white vinegar
2 white onions
2 cloves of garlic
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
- Chop onions into large pieces.
- Mince garlic cloves.
- Heat a large skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Cook brisket until all sides are browned.
- Add in water, white vinegar, ketchup, onions, garlic, sugar and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over medium-low heat, turning brisket every 30 minutes.
- Cook brisket until the sauce has congealed or about 2 1/2 – 3 hours.
- Once brisket cools, remove the fat and slice against the grain and refrigerate overnight.