1 envelope instant yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup warm water (100 degrees)
2 eggs for the dough and 1 egg for an egg wash
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon for the dough
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon sugar
- Whisk yeast and 1/2 cup of flour with warm water (100 degrees). Let it sit for 10 minutes until puffy.
- Whisk two eggs, oil, vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 cup sugar and salt into the yeast slurry until mixed in.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of flour and mix with your hands into a ball.
- Knead ball of dough for about 5 to 10 minutes until smooth; add more water if it is tough or add flour if it is sticky.
- Put the dough in a clean and warm bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it ferment for one hour until puffy.
- Peel and chop up your apples into bite sized pieces and sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar.
- Once dough is ready, divide into three sections and roll each one out into a flat piece on parchment paper. Sprinkle some apples at one end and roll up the long way making sure to avoid air bubbles.
- Repeat with other dough balls.
- Braid strands starting in the middle, braiding each side and securing at the ends. Put challah on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Cover with plastic wrap and ferment another hour and a half until it is triple the size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash challah with last egg and bake for 35 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with honey!