It doesn’t get much easier than this, and, if you have sealed your heavy duty foil tightly, your pan won’t get dirty and can go right back into the cabinet after cooking!
This is delicious with potato kugel or oven-roasted new potatoes.
1 brisket 5-8 pounds
1 12-ounce jar of apricot preserves
1 envelope of dried onion soup mix
- Place a large piece of extra wide heavy duty foil shiny side up in a roasting pan.
- Sprinkle half the contents of the onion soup on the foil.
- Place ½ of the jar of apricot preserves over the soup mixture.
- Place the meat fat side up (if there is a fat side) in the pan over the preserves and soup.
- Sprinkle the remaining soup over the meat, and dot with the remaining preserves being careful that the spoon for the preserves NEVER touches the meat.
- Bring the long sides of the foil together and make 3 or 4 folds to seal close to but not tight on the meat.
- At either end, fold up 2 times, fold the points in like you would wrapping a present, and then fold across the end 2 more times to seal the end. Repeat on the other side.
- Place in a 300F oven and roast for 3-4 hours depending on the thickness of the meat.
- If you have folded the foil correctly, you can lift up the foil envelope and the pan will be clean.
- Carefully open a corner of the foil and pour the gravy into a container. Chill the meat in the foil until it is cold. Freeze for later use, or slice the cold meat on a slight diagonal against the grain and place in a 13×9 Pyrex pan.
- When ready to serve, skim the fat off the gravy, pour the gravy over the meat, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 5 or 6 minutes until everything is nice and hot. Serve from the Pyrex or transfer onto a serving plate.