If you’ve ever wanted to enjoy crispy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside everything bagels without leaving home, well, this is the recipe for you – no boiling required!
This recipe from food influencer Michelle Koehn of @midwestfoodiegirl, yields six bagels that are the perfect size and thickness for making breakfast sandwiches or just piling on a shmear of your favorite cream cheese.
(Psst: No self-rising flour? No problem. Make your own using this substitute from King Arthur Flour: For each cup of flour, 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder and ¼ teaspoon salt. Whisk ingredients together and then use as directed.)
2 c self-rising flour
½ cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
½ tsp salt
¾ c water (room temp or warm)
1 tsp active yeast (If you’re using yeast that comes pre-portioned, note that this is less than half of a full packet.)
1 tsp water
Pinch of sea salt
Everything Bagel seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat (this will keep the bottoms of your bagels from burning).
- In a bowl, mix together flour, salt, and yeast. Stir in yogurt and mix until it begins to combine. Add ¾ cup of water until the mixture combines and becomes sticky.
- Let dough sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Flour your hands as needed to prevent the dough from sticking, then divide it into six equal parts. Shape each portion into a ball, using your thumbs to create a hole in the center of each and gently shaping each into a uniformly sized ring.
- Make an egg wash by whisking together the egg, salt, and water in a small bowl until smooth.
- Dunk each bagel into your egg wash mixture until it’s completely coated. Sprinkle your desired amount of everything bagel seasoning on all sides while holding the bagel over a bowl.
- Place each bagel on the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.