6 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 packages active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups plain lowfat yogurt (optional, but excellent)
2 to 3 cups water
1 egg yolk, beaten with 1 teaspoon milk
Wilton Set of 8 Icing Colors (or other food coloring)
- In electric mixer with dough hook (or by hand), mix flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Heat butter, yogurt, and water to about 110°F (warm but not hot), and add to dry ingredients.
- Mix until dough forms a ball. (Add more water or flour, as needed.) Knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place inverted bowl over dough and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down dough.
- Divide dough into 2 parts, one larger than the other for the bottom braids. Then divide each of these parts into 3 equal balls.
- Use food coloring to make each ball a different color of the rainbow, either kneading in the color (wear plastic gloves) or running through the food processor (add a touch of extra flour).
- Divide each ball in half to make two colored challahs. Braid the 3 larger balls for the bottom layer of each challah, pinching the ends tightly. Braid the 3 smaller balls for the thinner braid to lay along the top. Pinch both top and bottom braids tightly together at each end. Repeat with second challah.
- Place both challahs on greased baking sheet at least 4 inches apart. Brush with beaten egg.
- Let challahs rise again for 1/2 hour, while oven preheats to 375°F degrees.
- Place baking sheet in oven, turn back to front after 15 min. Bake until crusty and golden brown, tapping bottom to be sure if is well-browned, about 40 min total. Remove to wire rack. Enjoy!