Sofrito is used as a base in Spanish, Italian, Portuguese and Latin American cuisines.
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced into 1/2 -inch dice
3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 green pepper, diced into 1/2 -inch dice
4 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
1/3 cup Cream Sherry
3.5 ounces pimento-stuffed green olives, coarsely sliced
1/2 cup dark raisins
Salt to taste
- Heat a 10-inch frying pan over high heat for 15 seconds. Add the olive oil and heat for another 10 seconds. Add the onion and sauté for 4 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Add the diced green pepper and the diced tomatoes and continue to cook for another 4 or 5 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Add the remaining ingredients except the olives and raisins and let the mixture cook over low heat for 3 more minutes. Set aside.
- After the grilled chicken is cooked, reheat the sofrito and add the marinade.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the olives and raisins. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Return the sautéed chicken to the pan with the sauce to warm and serve. Alternatively, serve the grilled chicken on a platter topped with sauce.
- To seed a tomato, cut it in half crosswise and hold it over the sink, cut side down. Gently squeeze and shake--all the seeds should fall out. Voilà!