The Absolute, Hands-Down, Best Passover Apple Cake
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons potato starch
2 cups matzah cake meal
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
5 large Granny Smith and/or Braeburn apples, peeled and diced
1/4 cup sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan. Place parchment paper on bottom. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat eggs with sugar until blended. Add oil and beat. Sift together potato starch, cake meal, and pinch salt. Add sifted items to egg mixture.
- For the filling, mix together cinnamon, sugar, and lemon juice. Mix in the apples.
- Put two cups of dough (1/2 of the amount prepared) into the springform pan.
- Add the apple filling (minus the accumulated liquid).
- Put in remaining two cups of dough. Sprinkle with sugar cinnamon topping.
- Place springform on a cookie sheet since liquid may seep out.
- Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.