For a fun Rosh HaShanah treat, try these jello shots with vodka, honey-infused whiskey, or without alcohol. You can make the cute apple wedges as described below, or simply in small plastic shot cups, garnished with a slice of apple and pomegranate seeds.
- Wash the apples and cut in half vertically.
- Scoop out the core and some of the insides, leaving about ¼ inch of the flesh. Leave the stem and stamen in place; you can cut around them later, but if you remove them now, the rim of the “cup” you are creating will be uneven and won’t hold the gelatin liquid.
- Position the apple halves cut side up in the cups of a muffin tray. Squeeze a little lemon juice on the halved apples to prevent browning.
- Pour the water, alcohol, juice, and honey into a pot.
- Sprinkle gelatin over the top and let sit five minutes to allow the gelatin to absorb some of the liquid.
- Place pot on stove over low heat and stir continuously, until all of the gelatin and honey are dissolved and mixture is smooth.
- Let cool a little, then pour into the apple “cups”.
- Place muffin tray in refrigerator, and let chill for three hours or overnight until firmly set.
- Carefully slice each apple half to get three or four wedges each.