1 package active dry yeast
1 cup very warm water
4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegan cane sugar + 1 teaspoon vegan cane sugar
1/3 cup safflower oil
- Mix yeast, water, and 1 teaspoon of sugar in a small bowl. Let it sit until it bubbles.
- Combine flour, salt, and sugar. Add oil and then the yeast mixture.
- Mix together and knead for at least 10 minutes (by hand or with a bread mixer.) You know when it is done when you can push your finger into it and the little indentation stays there. A-ha!
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl and let it rise for an hour and a half.
- Take the dough out to shape into challah or smaller challot. Then let the challot rise again for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Brush the challahs with cold water and place in the oven for 30 minutes.