The brilliance of this recipe is that you don't boil the matzah balls. You bake them! This way, they stay intact. The quinoa holds the mix together (and adds protein).
1 cup quinoa flakes
2 cups boiling water
One box (2 packets) matzah ball mix
1/4 cup light vegetable oil (like safflower)
- In a large mixing bowl, cover the quinoa flakes with the water. Let stand for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Stir in both packets of matzah meal mix along with the oil, and mix until well blended. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Just before baking, preheat the oven to 275º F.
- Roll the mixture into approximately 1-inch balls; don't pack them too firmly. Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, carefully turning the matzo balls after 10 minutes, until firm to the touch; don't let them brown.
- If making ahead of time, let the matzah balls cool completely, then cover until needed. Warm them briefly in a medium oven and distribute them among the soup bowls, allowing 3 or 4 matzah balls per serving.