Probably the most famous Israeli Hanukkah food, sufganiyot are fried donuts. While they are commonly filled with jelly or other ingredients, this recipe makes easy drop donuts. The cheese in the dough gives them a particularly wonderful texture.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cheese, eggs, canola oil, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Let the mixture rest for about 30 minutes.
- Pour oil into a small, deep pot so it comes up about 2 3/4 inches (7 cm). Heat the oil.
- Using a spoon, make small balls with the dough. Working in batches, drop them into the hot oil and fry until golden. Transfer to a wire rack or a paper-towel lined plate.
- Top with powdered sugar, and if you'd like, serve with strawberry jam.
Tips for Frying Doughnuts
- Heat the oil to a temperature between 360°F and 375°F
- Allow time for the oil to get hot again between batches
Reprinted with permission from Cook in Israel: Home Cooking Inspiration by Orly Ziv.