When Is B'shalach Read?
- The Children of Israel escape across the Sea of Reeds from Pharaoh and his army, who drown when God drives back the sea. (13:17-14:31)
- Moses and the Israelites sing a song praising Adonai. (15:1-21)
- In the wilderness, God provides the grumbling Israelites with quails and manna. God instructs the Israelites to gather and prepare on the sixth day food needed for Shabbat. (15:22-16:36)
- The people complain about the lack of water. Moses hits a rock with his rod and brings forth water. (17:1-7)
- Israel defeats Amalek, Israel's eternal enemy. God vows to blot out the memory of Amalek from the world. (17:8-16)
Ten Minutes of Torah: B'shalach Commentary
During the pandemic, many of us have turned to our comfort foods as we self-isolate. We bake bread and cookies, make mac and cheese, and cook vats of soup. We long for the past, a seemingly safer time, and seek it in a bite of food.
The week’s Torah portion, B’shalach, records the dramatic...Continue Reading