When Is B'shalach Read?
- The Children of Israel escape across the Sea of Reeds from Pharaoh and his army, who drown when God drives back the sea. (13:17-14:31)
- Moses and the Israelites sing a song praising Adonai. (15:1-21)
- In the wilderness, God provides the grumbling Israelites with quails and manna. God instructs the Israelites to gather and prepare on the sixth day food needed for Shabbat. (15:22-16:36)
- The people complain about the lack of water. Moses hits a rock with his rod and brings forth water. (17:1-7)
- Israel defeats Amalek, Israel's eternal enemy. God vows to blot out the memory of Amalek from the world. (17:8-16)
Ten Minutes of Torah: B'shalach Commentary
In this week’s parashah, we find the newly freed Israelites on their way out of Egypt. This parashah shows the beginnings of a communal dynamic. These people are unafraid to challenge their leaders and demand evidence that the path they are taking will lead them to a better place.Continue Reading