When Is B'reishit Read?
- God creates the world and everything in it in six days and rests on the seventh. (1:1-2:3)
- Adam and Eve are placed in the Garden of Eden, where they eat the forbidden fruit and are subsequently exiled. (2:15-3:24)
- Adam and Eve have two sons, Cain and Abel. Cain kills his brother, Abel. (4:1-24)
- Adam and Eve have another child named Seth. The Torah lists the ten generations from Adam to Noah. (4:25-5:32)
- God regrets having created human beings and decides to destroy everything on earth, but Noah finds favor with God. (6:5-6:8)
Ten Minutes of Torah: B'reishit Commentary
One Yom Kippur, a rabbi was warning his congregation about the fragility of life. “One day everyone in this congregation is going to die,” he thundered from the bimah. Seated in the front row was an elderly woman who laughed out loud when she heard this. Irritated, the rabbi said, “What’s so...Continue Reading