When Is B'reishit Read?
- God creates the world and everything in it in six days and rests on the seventh. (1:1-2:3)
- Adam and Eve are placed in the Garden of Eden, where they eat the forbidden fruit and are subsequently exiled. (2:15-3:24)
- Adam and Eve have two sons, Cain and Abel. Cain kills his brother, Abel. (4:1-24)
- Adam and Eve have another child named Seth. The Torah lists the ten generations from Adam to Noah. (4:25-5:32)
- God regrets having created human beings and decides to destroy everything on earth, but Noah finds favor with God. (6:5-6:8)
Ten Minutes of Torah: B'reishit Commentary
Parashat B’reishit is both the first portion in the Torah and the foundation of our Jewish tradition. These chapters teach us how to find meaning in our days, not just what happened before they began. While the Torah is certainly not a history or science book, this parashah is our starting place to...Continue Reading
More B'reishit Commentaries
Learn More About Parashat B'reishit with BimBam
Parshat B'reishit: Listen Up
Listen to Podcasts About B'reishit
Listen to Rabbi Rick Jacobs discuss Parashat B'reishit in these episodes of his podcast, On the Other Hand: Ten Minutes of Torah.