Acharei Mot - K’doshim
אַחֲרֵי מוֹת - קְדֹשִׁים
After the Death [of the Two Sons of Aaron] / [You Shall Be] Holy
When Is Acharei Mot - K’doshim Read?
/ 12 Iyar 5785
/ 8 Iyar 5786
- The duties that the head kohein must perform on Yom Kippur are delineated and the ceremony of the scapegoat is outlined. (16:1-28)
- Moses instructs Aaron about the Yom Kippur laws for fasting and atonement. (16:29-34)
- Warnings are issued against the offering of sacrifices outside the Sanctuary and the consumption of blood. (17:1-16)
- Moses condemns the sexual practices of some neighboring peoples. Certain forms of sexual relations are prohibited. (18:1-30)
- God issues a variety of commandments, instructing the Israelites on how to be a holy people. (19:1-37)
- Various sex offenses are discussed and punishments for them are presented. (20:1-27)
Ten Minutes of Torah: Acharei Mot - K’doshim Commentary
What Makes Us Holy?
By: Rabbi Dvora E. Weisberg
For many, Parshat K’doshim is the high point of Leviticus. We have slogged through chapters devoted to animal sacrifice, the priesthood, various discharges and skin afflictions, and a list of forbidden sexual partners.Continue Reading