Acharei Mot - K’doshim
When Is Acharei Mot - K’doshim Read?
- The duties that the head kohein must perform on Yom Kippur are delineated and the ceremony of the scapegoat is outlined. (16:1-28)
- Moses instructs Aaron about the Yom Kippur laws for fasting and atonement. (16:29-34)
- Warnings are issued against the offering of sacrifices outside the Sanctuary and the consumption of blood. (17:1-16)
- Moses condemns the sexual practices of some neighboring peoples. Certain forms of sexual relations are prohibited. (18:1-30)
- God issues a variety of commandments, instructing the Israelites on how to be a holy people. (19:1-37)
- Various sex offenses are discussed and punishments for them are presented. (20:1-27)
Ten Minutes of Torah: Acharei Mot - K’doshim Commentary
For many, Parshat K’doshim is the high point of Leviticus. We have slogged through chapters devoted to animal sacrifice, the priesthood, various discharges and skin afflictions, and a list of forbidden sexual partners. Finally, we reach a directive that we can embrace.
Adonai spoke to Moses...Continue Reading