Vayak'heil - P'kudei
When Is Vayak'heil - P'kudei Read?
- Moses teaches the rules of Shabbat. (35:1-3)
- Moses asks the Israelites for a donation of gifts and those who are skilled help build the Mishkan [Tabernacle] under the direction of Bezalel and Oholiab. (35:4-38:20)
- A statistical summary of the materials used for the Tabernacle and an account of producing the priestly vestments are recorded. Moses blesses the Israelites for the work they did. (38:21-39:42)
- Upon God's instruction, Moses sets up the Mishkan and the priests are anointed and consecrated. (40:1-33)
- A description is given of a cloud that covers the Mishkan by day and a fire that burns by night, indicating God's Presence therein. (40:33-38)
Ten Minutes of Torah: Vayak'heil - P'kudei Commentary
Every now and then, we want to say to the ancient sages, “We owe you one.” This week, when we read the double portion, Vayak’heil/P’kudei, feels like one of those times.
The Hebrew calendar allows festivals and their special Torah readings to fall on Shabbat; adds a leap month at predictable...Continue Reading